Send to FTP cropper plugin

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:53 PM
Edited Dec 30, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Found another cropper plugin, http://weblogs.asp.net/nleghari/archive/2007/03/31/cropper-send-to-ftp-plugin.aspx (source code is available as well)
Sound like a useful addition, might be worth (if the author agrees) to included in this package, and perhaps updated to support latest standards.

It doesn't show up in latest cropper 1.9.4 release, guess some incompatibility issues
I read one comment on that blog that i definitively find a must feature that should be added, eg: somekind of encryption for saved username/password combination.

RvdH

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Hello RvdH,

Regarding that FTP plugin, I agree, that would be a nice addition to this set. I will contact the author to inquire about including it here.

regarding the additional feature you described: in general the plugins in cropperplugins do not save the password for a protected service.  This is an inconvenience, but I've used it as a matter of policy on all my updates. They should save the username for various services.  In practice, this means you must key in the password for a service, ONCE for each invocation of Cropper.exe.  For the first upload to Picasa (or flickr, or... ) you need to authenticate, and for subsequent uploads, you do not.  I agree that it would be convenient to never authenticate again, but I also believe that would be a security vulnerability. Storing the encrypted password may reduce the vulnerability but does not eliminate it. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Hi Cheeso, first of all happy newyear (Is it still allowed to give newyear wishes on 5 jan?)

Guess you are right about the security risk involved when storing passwords, it isn't worth it.

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2011 at 3:02 PM

yes, it's never wrong to be pleasant!  Happy new year to you, too.

I haven't heard back from the author of that FTP plugin. 

For now I created a workitem for the FTP plugin.  http://cropperplugins.codeplex.com/workitem/15053

If I get a bunch of upvotes on it, then I will implement it post-haste.  If I don't, then I'll implement it when I get a few extra moments.