Save Settings on Cropper

May 2, 2010 at 12:58 AM

I may have missed it but is there a way to save my Cropper settings (In Options)

Any help would be appreciated!

LOVE this program by the way

May 2, 2010 at 4:36 AM
Edited May 2, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Clicking OK or exiting Cropper, automatically saves the configuration settings. Any plugin that has settings, should be saved along with Cropper's settings in a config file located in the application data directory (the location depends on what version of Windows you're running). By placing a file called cropper.portable next to the executable, you enable portable mode and Cropper will save the settings to the cropper.portable file (this will also change the output location to a Cropper Captures directory next to the executable).

May 2, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Thanks very much - it seems to save my settings. For some reason it wasn't before but I'm back on track now.

May 11, 2010 at 2:21 AM

I just opened Cropper today and again, all my settings were back to default. I wonder what I'm doing wrong??

May 11, 2010 at 4:29 AM

I don't believe you are doing anything wrong (there isn't much you could do wrong). Other people have reported this problem but no one has been able to reliably reproduce it. The only thing that comes to mind is that a plugin isn't saving/loading it's settings properly or the settings file is being corrupted or deleted between usages of Cropper.

What plugins (if any) are you using?

May 13, 2010 at 3:10 AM

Well, I reinstalled it and all is well. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks

May 16, 2010 at 11:21 PM

So  here's the latest. I reinstalled cropper, (XP running on a laptop) set my settings to capture as JPG (NOT an add on as far as I can tell - although there IS a JPG add on) and named the Capture directory.

All is well until I restart the computer - Cropper then goes back to it's default settings. I can't imagine what I'm missing. I really enjoy the program, I just wish it would retain my custom settings.

May 17, 2010 at 3:41 PM
Edited May 17, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Can you check the configuration file (located at %AppData%\Cropper\cropper.config) before and after the reboot and see if if is different? Are you exiting Cropper before the reboot? Or is Cropper running when you reboot?

May 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Hi Terry - Thanks for the post.

Cropper loads with windows so I am guessing it's running in the tray when I reboot

Great idea on checking the config file though. It appears that none of my changes are being saved in the config file - HOWEVER I modified the file with my preferences, saved it and all is well now. It now is remembering all of my preferences after rebooting. I will save this config file for use the next time I need to install Cropper.

Thanks again for the help!

May 18, 2010 at 5:55 AM

Was it not saving the configuration of items from the menu (when you right-click it)? Or was it not saving settings within the Options dialog?

Examples of settings on the menu:

• Output format
  • Thumbnail on/off
  • Color setting

Examples of settings in the Options dialog:

• Output location
  • Output template
May 18, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I am guessing that neither was saved. In other words, I would either open cropper or right click cropper, set my output - jpg 100, set my capture directory (output Loaction) - C:\Screen Saves, set the file format name - Screen xxxx.jpg,etc.

Then I would use Cropper with my custom settings and things were great. But on a reboot the next day, all of the settings I had set the day before, went back to Cropper default. I don't believe there is any "Save" options in the program, so one would think that the config file would be up-dated when settings have been made. In my case, the config file never updated itself. I simply went in and edited the config file with the options I wanted and manually saved the config file. So, all is well, but I had to modify the config file to get the changes to stick.

Does this help? I have things working very well right now, but this was due to me actually modifying the config file. And, I've saved that file for future re-installs of Cropper.

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I'm experiencing this problem.  Windows 7 x64.  latest version of Cropper.  When I select the output destination (JPG, PNG, SendToEmail, etc), it keeps that setting until I exit Cropper.  If I restart Cropper, then the output format reverts to "the last option in the list", which for me is SendToTinyPic.

When I change settings in the options menu, like the save directory and the filename format, the changes "stick". The %appData%\Cropper\Cropper.config file gets saved on Cropper Exit.  If I manually change that file, the changes stick. 

Here's something interesting. If I select the output format as JPG, then exit Cropper, that choice is saved in the config file.  If I select the "Send To Paint.Net" output format, then... that setting is not preserved in the config file. Maybe it's a problem with that particular plugin.  I'll have to look.

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:45 PM

There is a bug in Cropper, it will be fixed in the next release, were the settings are not being saved when logging out, restarting, or shutting down. Cropper would actual crash and any changes that occurred from the menu would be lost.

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Would that apply to me, if I am clicking the Exit menu item within the Cropper popup menu?  Logging out, restarting, or shutting down - sounds like you are talking about OS actions there.  I haven't done any of that. Just stopping and restarting Cropper.

Side note - after some investigation, I think I have discovered a problem in the way Cropper saves the state of the output menu selection. The output menu is where the user choose BMP, JPG, PNG, AVI, and so on. Except some of the plugins do not simply select a file format - they actually select an action to perform.  Like "Send to Flickr" or "Send to Paint.NET".  The file format is an independent variable in that case.  This is what I mean: one option for output is "capture to PNG".  Another option is "send to Paint.NET" (using the PNG format).  Both output options would use the PNG extension.   BUT, when I look at what gets saved in cropper.config, it is the Extension property of the activated plugin. 

this is a problem.  In summary, Cropper saves the Extension property of the currently active plugin, when what is really displayed and selected on the output menu, and what people really want to save, is the Description property of the plugin. I've posted a discussion item on the Cropper discussions list. no reply yet.

Terry, are you a contributor to Cropper ?  Can you fix this? 

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:55 PM

The bug in Cropper is only when you are exiting the OS, when you exit Cropper as explained above the settings will be saved.

It looks like you've narrowed it down to Cropper using the extension property to identify the plugin rather than the description.

Yes, I'm a contributor on Cropper, I'll take a look into resolving it.

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM

great. I submitted a set of diffs for my proposed fix on Cropper workitem 14665.

Should be a low-impact change.  

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:54 AM
Edited Nov 28, 2010 at 5:55 AM

Cropper 1.9.4 contains the fix.